Hoppa till huvudinnehållet

In English

The Transition Fund is an organization that supports employees of Sweden’s municipalities, County councils, and of companies and organizations that are members of Sobona, an employer organization. The Transition Fund attempts to find new jobs for every job seeking person, because a job offers more lasting security than financial support over a short period.

The Transition Fund follows the rules agreed by Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions and the employer’s organization Sobona and the Swedish trade unions Kommunal, OFR and AkademikerAlliansen. The agreement applies to about 1.1 million employees. The Transition Fund’s office is in Stockholm, with advisors throughout Sweden.

Who can get help?

The Transition Fund helps people employed by municipalities and County councils, or companies that are members of the Sobona employer’s organization, who have lost their jobs through lack of work.

To be helped, you must also:

  • have worked at least 40 per cent of the time in the same job, for at least a year, before you became unemployed.
  • have been hired on a permanent basis at time of notice.

Reduced employment when less work available

Employees who have said “Yes” to a new position with reduced working hours when work is limited have the right to support from the Transition Fund if:

  • the employer has had to reduce personnel and the employee has been offered an alternative position.
  • there is no right of precedence (företrädesrätt) or period of notice.
  • the employee is getting unemployment benefit.

The Transition Fund can suggest various forms of support while the applicant is unemployed. The employee may receive a so-called “A-kasseutfyllnad” (supplementary benefit) equal to 75 days’ work, within a year from starting in his/her new position.

What happens when you get notice?

You can start your cooperation with the Transition Fund when you receive your notice. As soon as notice is given, your employer must tell the Transition Fund.

The Transition Fund decides if you have the right to support from us. If so, one of our counsellors will contact you for a meeting. At the meeting, you will get help in planning what you need to do to get a new job as soon as possible.

This is what we call active support. It could be writing a CV and other application forms.

Later, you have a follow-up meeting with your counsellor. If you already have new work, this cooperation ends. You must apply for financial support from the Transition Fund yourself.

Active support

We can give you advice, support and guidance. But you also have to be active yourself. Think about alternative ways to find work and how to write a good CV and personal letter. And work out how to keep happy and stay motivated while looking for work.

Competence profile

As a first step, write a competence profile. Think about what you are good atand what personal qualities you have that might help you. When you apply for a new job and prepare for the interview, you should be confident in what you know and the skills you have.

Ways of finding work

Another good idea is to learn how employers look for employees,and find the best route to the job you want. Personal contacts are very important.


Upgrade your CV. CV is short for Curriculum Vitae, which means "life story". Your CV presents your previous jobs and education. You can also practise writing a personal letter and how to present yourself at an interview. If you are well prepared, you will find new work faster.

Further training

Further training can improve the chances of a new job, for those who want to develop their competence, change career or start a business. It can also be a good idea to look for a position as a trainee.


If you are unemployed when your period of notice ends, you can apply for some financial support.


You can get additional financial support in the form of "A-kasseutfyllnad" (supplementary unemployment benefit.) Combined with your general unemployment benefit, this provides up to 80 per cent of your earlier pay for a period of 200 days.

If still unemployed after this period, you can receive up to 70 per cent of your earlier pay, including your general unemployment benefit, for an additional 100 days.

To receive "A-kasseutfyllnad", you must:

  • Have been permanently employed for five years.
  • Be prepared to accept new employment.
  • Be registered with the Swedish Employment Office (Arbetsförmedlingen).
  • Not have said no to similar kinds of work.
  • Have the right to unemployment benefit.

Compensation instead of benefit

When you and your counsellor agree that you should take part in active support which means you lose the right to unemployment benefit, you can receive compensation of up to 80 per cent of your earlier pay, for a maximum of 43 days.

For “A-kasseutfyllnad”, apply directly to the Transition Fund. You can do this immediately on receiving notice, or later. If you have not found a new job by the time your employment ends, you can apply for supplementary unemployment benefit.